It was special because it is so rarely this way. Usually someone is going through a rough patch or the harmony between us is not so strong. Life is like that, a constant series of ups and downs. What we do with this rhythm is so important. We have tried to help our children be resilient, to accept what life throws at them and learn from it, integrating that wisdom into their lives for the future. I saw a heartening glimpse of that reality on this occasion.
One ‘child’ enquired what aspirations I had for them as they grew up. Whereas my expectations have adjusted over time, the basics remain consistent:
- To find out who they are and be true to that. (Career-wise we have an electrician, a farm manager and a youth/aid worker!)
- To change the world in positive ways.
- To love one another and those around them.
- To love God and follow their calling.
- To be satisfied with their lives.